Tuesday, January 11, 2011

3QI with Coach Valynne: The science and art of nutrition and fitness


   - join her in the journey of happy and healthy living.
   - join her team to lose weight, get fit and more. 
* Read Valynne's blog on her Caretaking adventures 
_______________________________________________
Q1: Nutrition is an art of applying food knowledge, while fitness depends upon nutrition, exercise, health, genetic disposition, environment, etc. Are there some basic nutritional facts that apply to everyone, and furthermore at a deeper level, are there any simple principles one can follow in addition to the basic rules to support individual fitness?   

Coach Valynne: Let me start off by saying I am not a nutritionist and have never been super athletic...I have simply found a system that works for me and for a lot of my friends.  It’s pretty old-school, really; I believe that good old-fashioned exercise and the consumption of whole foods will keep the majority of us feeling and looking our best.  
For me, this means an hour or so a day of moderate exercise (my favorite activities include tennis, yoga, hiking, rollerblading, working out to fun videos at home, etc.) and avoiding foods that do more harm than good (I always do my best to eat like we did a few generations back, and I read the ingredients labels/nutrition facts when deciding which packaged foods I will/won’t eat).  And while I am not one to count every calorie, a basic knowledge of calories consumed versus calories burned is important, especially when it comes to weight loss.
Honestly, the one simple principle that I follow when it comes to supporting my individual fitness is to surround myself with others (in person or virtually) who choose to focus on what brings them health and happiness.  Sounds kind of corny, but that is what keeps me motivated and inspired every day.  
Q2: As half of the Caretaking Couple, do you find it challenging to maintain your nutritional habits and fitness while traveling and living in different cities across the country?  
Coach Valynne: This was a major struggle for me in the beginning.  I love our nomadic lifestyle but it is easy to get off track, especially when we are on the road between sits (I have a particular fondness for indie cafes and diners).  
My solution was to order Beachbody work out videos, knowing that I would have no excuses not to play them (I use my laptop when a TV is not available).  Right now I am in month three of ChaLEAN Extreme.  Next month I start P90X, which most of you have probably heard of.  I keep track of my workouts and progress in the “online gym” provided by Beachbody.  
I also drink Shakeology every day, which is full of healthy, natural ingredients.  I can shake or blend it from wherever we are.  This gives me extra energy and has reduced my cravings for the fattening and expensive foods and drinks I had become addicted to (Starbucks lattes, for starters).   
My partner Paul is drinking Shakeology each day with me now also, which has helped immensely.  I say this because I gained forty pounds in the five years that Paul and I have been together.  We have made some major lifestyle changes for the better these past few months (I will be posting “before and after” pictures on my facebook  page in the next few weeks).
Q3: Can a vegetarian diet provide complete and healthy nutrition on its own, or should it be complemented with supplements?
Coach Valynne: I believe that it absolutely can if one has access to the right foods; foods that have not been genetically modified, irradiated, grown with pesticides/herbicides and/or in soil that has been depleted, etc. etc.  Balance is a major factor as well...proteins, carbs, and fats can all be found in a vegetarian diet, but it is easy to overdo it on the carbs (at least it was for me).  It can be a bit tricky, and I am not above using supplements.  I just recommend that everyone does their homework and finds out what it is they are consuming, exactly.  I suggest finding others out there who are familiar with the products you are considering and getting their feedback as well.  

Here's to a happy, healthy 2011!












No comments:

Post a Comment